Visa and Residence Permit

Usually, foreigner (from non EU-countries) need a visa to enter Germany. For longer stays than 3 months you need additionally a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) in addition. You must apply for a visa in your country of origin before you move to Germany. After immigration you must apply for a residence permit at the foreign office (Ausländerbehörde). Please make sure, NOT to apply for a tourist visa. You will need to apply for a student visa that allows multiple entries into the country.

How to receive a VISA

To receive a visa (usually for the purpose of studying) which permits immigration to Germany and stay in the right campus, you must document your financial background. Thus, you must prove to the German embassy in your country of residence and to the authorities in Gelsenkirchen/Bocholt/Recklinghausen that you can finance your stay in Germany. The appoximate value is 10.236 € per year, which corresponds to monthly 853 €. You can document you financial background by:

• starting a blocked account "Sperrkonto" with a value of at least 10.236 €. Note, that the amount depends on the duration of your stay. If you are only staying for six months, you will only have to put 6 x 853 € in the blocked account. The blocked account will allow you to take out 853 € per month max.

• presenting a formal commitment ("Verpflichtungserklärung") of a third party (such as your parents) stating to support you with at least 853 € per month. The formal commitment must be presented to the German diplomatic representations.

• presenting documentation of an acknowledged publicly financed scholarship (such as DAAD or from your home university) which supports you with at least 853 € per month or comparative proof of income (e.g. salary) Students from so called "positiven Drittstaaten" such as the USA, Israel, Brazil or South Korea can enter Germany without visa. However, they have to get their stay legitimized by the Immigrations`Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany. Thus, they need to apply for a residence permit ("Aufenthalterlaubnis"), usually.

Redaktionell verantwortliche Person nach § 55, Abs. 2 RStV:
Regina Klauke