Housing Options for Exchange Students

Which accommodation options do I have? 

The main campus of Westfälische Hochschule is located in Gelsenkirchen, with both teaching and residential facilities. Exchange students who study at our campus in Gelsenkirchen or Recklinghausen usually live in one of our student residences located in Gelsenkirchen.  

1. Student Residence "Wodanstraße”

Wodanstraße 7a-f, 45891 Gelsenkirchen

Our first student residence is comprised of newly-built houses each containing in total 155 single rooms in 2, 3 or 4 shared-room apartments. It is located in Gelsenkirchen-Erle in a very central ubication with local amenities approx. 300m away. Here you can rent private rooms inside shared-flats consisting of 3 or 4 rooms each - sharing a kitchen, shower, bath and toilet, all completely furnished by the International Office

There are also washing-machines and dryers inside the houses and all rooms have access to Wifi. You will get the keys of your room from your tutor upon your arrival. 

Student residence Wodanstraße
Click on the image to discover our student residence "Wodanstraße"

For how long can I rent a room? How much does it cost?

  • The rental contract runs for the duration of one semester (6 months) or a whole academic year(12 months), including semester breaks. It is not possible to start/end the rental contract earlier/later
  • The total rent amounts between 1.620€ - 1.842€ per semester
  • For your reservation a down payment of 800€ has to be paid by February 15th/ August 15th directly to the residence administration (not to Westfälische Hochschule)
  • The outstanding amount of the rental price has to be paid by May 1st (summer semester)/ by November 1st (winter semester). The residence owner is AKAFÖ


2. Student Residence "Düppelstraße”

Düppelstr. 12, 45897 Gelsenkirchen

Our second student residence is smaller, consisting of 2 double and 5 single rooms. You can find several bathrooms and a big shared kitchen. It is located just a 10 minutes walk away from our main campus in Gelsenkirchen. 

In both university residences the kitchens are partly-equipped with cookers, fridges, crockery, cutlery, pots and pans. Self-catering is a must. The landlord provides the bedding (pillow and cover), but linen are not available. As a resident, you are responsible for the cleaning and furniture of your own room and for any damage caused

There is no student residence at our campus in Bocholt.
Usually, accommodation is provided in private houses.
Our colleague Mrs Tenbrink will support you. 

Student residence Düppelstraße
Student Residence "Düppelstraße"

How can I apply for an accommodation?

Please fill out the accommodation form for Gelsenkirchen or Bocholt and send it to back to us via email.

Since the number of applications normally exceeds the number of rooms available for our exchange students, our recommendations is to reserve your room as early as possible. Upon receipt of your application form, a room will be allocated to you. As soon as you have received our letter of confirmation, your room will be reserved for your stay.

In case no further room is available, we will inform you in time. Then we will send you the contact information of students who will spend a semester abroad and wish to rent their room to another student. Of course you can also look for a private room by yourself.

Redaktionell verantwortliche Person nach § 55, Abs. 2 RStV:
Eva Quel