How much does it cost to study in Germany?

It is difficult to determine exactly how much money needs a student in Germany. According to recent statistics students live on an average of 744 Euro per month.

Which documents are needed for a complete application as an exchange student?

In case of partnership between our universities:

1. Application form of Westfälische Hochschule

2. Accommodation form of Westfälische Hochschule

3. Transcript of records from home university

4. Completely signed Learning Agreement (for study programme) or Training Agreement ( for final thesis) referring to the contract between the partner universities

5. Copy of passport

6. German/English language certificate

Does the Westfälische Hochschule provide accommodation for exchange students?

The Westfälische Hochschule does not own student dorms but we are able to arrange accommodation (with furniture) in our student hall of residence. Fill out the accommodation form and send it to us with your complete application. You will get additional information with your Letter of Acceptance.

What is a Learning Agreement?

ERASMUS students are expected to complete a learning agreement to be signed by them, their home university and the host instituion. The learning agreement is an informal contract to be completed before the study period starts which indicates precisely what modules will be studied. Subsequent modifications are permitted as long as  they are agreed by all parties concerned.

Why do I need a German bank account?

If you are going to stay in one of the students dormitories it is better to have a German bank account. We help you with setting up the account and it is free of charge for you.

What type of health insurance do I need?

According to German legislation students are required to keep sufficient health insurance. EU students with an EU health insurance card don`t need an additional insurance. In all other cases we strongly advise you to buy only a travel insurance for the first days and we will help you to join the Mandatory Health Insurance with no limits. It is highly important to pay the insurance fee (86 Euro per month) in time. Otherwise students may run into difficulties.

Where do I find information about timetables, courses and certain modules?

Please click here.

The German websites for the study programme you are interested in are not available in English yet. You have to look for "Stundenplan" in order to find timetables. If you are looking for module descriptions please look out for the keywords "Modulhandbuch" or "Prüfungsordnung".

Is ist possible to change courses after being acccepted?

Yes, you are allowed to change courses in your learning agreement within the first four weeks.

How many credits should I take per semester?

Students who come within the framework of Erasmus should choose and complete 30 ECTS per semester.

Do I need a visa?

If you don`t have an EU citizenship you will need a visa in most cases if you want to study in Germany. Some students only need a residence permit which can be applied after arrival. Please contact the German embassy in your home country to clarify what is necessary.

How long will it take to get an answer after sending my application documents?

Upon receiving a complete application form, we will start to process your application with our colleagues from the respective faculties. The length of the evaluation process may vary from department to department. Once the departmental evaluation process is concluded you will be informed via e-mail.

What kind of support does the Westfälische Hochschule provide for exchange students?

We will provide support with all administrative, academic and social matters (bank account, rental agreement, student enrolment, city registration, learning agreement...). Our tutors will help you during your stay.

Does the Westfälische Hochschule offer German language courses?

Yes, languages courses are offered at different levels at all campuses.

Is it possible to get the key for my room at the weekend or in the late afternoon?

If you arrive at the weekend or in the late afternoon it will be difficult to get the key somtimes. So please try to arrive from Monday to Friday during the day.

What are the deadlines that I need to observe?

Application deadlines:

10th of December for the summer semester

10th of June for the winter semester

Can I apply even if my university doesn`t have a partner agreement with Westfälische Hochschule?

Admission is not possible without partner agreement.

When does the academic year start?

The academic year consists of two semesters. The winter semester usually runs from the mid of September to the mid of February and the summer semester from the mid of march to the mid of July.

Is it important to be able to speak German?

Most of the courses are taught in German. Some courses are taught in English. You have to check in advance if it is possible to take English lessons. However, being able to speak and understand German certainly won`t harm.

Redaktionell verantwortliche Person nach § 55, Abs. 2 RStV:
Regina Klauke