In how far is the university life affected by the current covid-19 situation?

The current covid-19 situation in Germany allows that more attendance will be possible again compared to the last semesters. That is why the current fall semester 21/22 takes place as a hybrid semester (some lectures will be held online and some on campus, depending on the amount of students attenting the lectures).
Based upon the current covid-19 protection regulation, the 3G rule (students who are vaccinated, recovered or tested) is applied as participation requirement. 

Please find below the current general regulations in place which apply for lectures as well as examinations: 

  • You may only participate in indoor events if you have been completly vaccinated, recovered or or tested negatively
  • During lectures and other teaching events, a minimum distance of 1.5m, the wearing of a medical face mask (also at the place itself) as well as the general hygiene standards have to be kept and applied
  • The minimum distance can also be reduced, taking into account the respective room conditions, under the condition that at least one space between participants remains free at the sides and that no more than half of the regular number of seats is occupied
  • The max. number of participants is 100
  • The individual departments will inform their students which lecture will take place in person or digitally

For this reason, there will be access controls at the main entrances of our university buildings from September 20th 2021. The controls will be applied from Monday - Friday from 7am to 4pm.

This has the advantage that you do not have to be controlled in every single teaching or examination event. However, this might be done randomly.
For the 3G proof (completly vaccinated, recovered or tested) the respective federal state regulations apply. In addition, an official identification document will also be randomly checked. If you do not provide proper proof, unfortunately you will not be able to participate in the respective lectures or examinations, and you will also be denied access to the university buildings.

From Monday, October 04th, the International Office will be open from Monday - Friday at 9:00 - 12:00 . 


Do I have to pay the semester fee? What does it consist of?

Yes, all exchange students, including ERASMUS students, have to pay the mandatory semester fee. The semester fee is a social fee, not a study tuition fee. It does include the ticket for the use of the public transport in our federal state North-Rhine Westphalia, the member fee for the student union AKAFÖ as well as the student committee ASTA. In case you will arrive to Germany after the official start of the semester, you can request a partial reimbursement of the semester fee.

What about the payments I have made if I decide not to come due to covid-19?

If you have already paid your semester fee, we can transfer it to the next semester. If you wish to cancel your exchange at WH completely, we will reimburse it to your bank account.

How much does it cost to study in Germany?

It is difficult to determine exactly how much money a student needs/spends during the stay in Germany. According to recent statistics, students need approx. 861€ per month.

Which documents are needed for a complete application as an exchange student?

A partnership between your home university and us has to exist in order to apply for the exchange program. Please apply by submitting the following documents: 

1. Application form
2. Accommodation form Campus Gelsenkirchen / Bocholt
3. Current transcript of records from your home university
4. Learning Agreement (for study program) or Training Agreement (for final thesis/internship) issued and signed by your home university
5. Copy of passport
6. Official German/English language certificate / official document issued by your home university proving your language skills
7. Erasmus students only: copy of your EU health insurance card + a confirmation about your Erasmus student status

What are the deadlines I have to keep in mind?

The application deadlines are as follows:

  • for spring semester: December 10th 
  • for fall semester: June 10th 

What is the Learning/Training Agreement?

ERASMUS students are expected to complete a learning/training agreement to be signed by them, their home university and the host instituion. It is an informal contract to be completed before the study/internship period starts which indicates precisely what modules will be studied / which contents the internship will address. Subsequent modifications are permitted as long as they are agreed by all parties concerned.

Can I apply at Westfälische Hochschule even if my university doesn't have a partner agreement with Westfälische Hochschule?

Unfortunately not, an admission is not possible without a mutual exchange agreement.

Which kind of language certificate do I have to submit?

This depends on the courses you are planning to take. If you want to participate in German-taught lectures, we require a German language certificate which certifies advanced German language skills (minimum B2 level).
If you plan to take part in English-taught courses only, you need to submit an English language certificate which certifies advanced English language skills (minimum B2 level).
You have to hand in an official language certificate or an official document issued by your home university proving your language skills.

Does Westfälische Hochschule provide housing for exchange students?

Yes, we do offer different accommodation options for exchange students.
Please take a look at our accommodation information. If you would like to reserve a room in one of our student residences, please fill in the accommodation form for Campus Gelsenkirchen / Bocholt and send it to us. 

Do I need a German bank account?

We highly recommend to have a German bank account while living in Germany, especially if you are going to live in one of our student residences. Our student tutors will help you opening the bank account. The good news: It is free of charge for students! 

What type of health insurance do I need?

According to German legislation, students are required to have a suitable health insurance when living in Germany.
EU-students with an EU health insurance card don't have to become a member of a German health insurance.
However, students coming from countries outside of the European Union, we strongly advise to sign up for a travel insurance for the first days of your stay. After your arrival, we will help you to become a member of the mandatory German health insurance. It is highly important to pay the insurance fee (approx. 110€ per month) in time. Otherwise students may run into difficulties.

Where do I find information about timetables, courses and certain modules?

Inform yourself about your study options in English

The German website for the study programme you are interested in is not available in English yet. You have to look for "Stundenplan" in order to find timetables. If you are looking for module descriptions please look out for the keywords "Modulhandbuch" or "Prüfungsordnung".

Is ist possible to change courses after being acccepted?

Yes, you are allowed to change courses in your Learning Agreement within the first four weeks after your arrival.

How many credits do I have to take per semester?

Students, who come within the framework of Erasmus, have to choose and complete 30 ECTS per semester.

Do I need a visa?

If you don't have an EU citizenship, you will need a visa in most cases to study in Germany. Some students only need a residence permit which can be applied for after arrival. Please find more information concerning visa here and contact the German embassy in your home country to clarify what is necessary.

How long will it take to get an answer after sending my application documents?

Upon receiving ypur complete application documents, we will start to process your application with our colleagues from the respective faculties. The duration of the evaluation process may vary from department to department. Once the departmental evaluation process is concluded, you will be informed via e-mail.

What kind of support does Westfälische Hochschule provide for exchange students?

We will provide support with regards to all administrative, academic and social matters (bank account, rental agreement, student enrolment, city registration, learning agreement, etc.). Our student tutors will help you during your stay! 

Does the Westfälische Hochschule offer German language courses?

Yes, German language courses are offered by our language centre at different levels at all three campuses.

Is it possible to get the key for my room in the student residence at the weekend or in the late afternoon?

If you plan to arrive at the weekend or in the late afternoon, it might be difficult to get the key for your room. Please try to schedule your arrival between Monday - Fridayduring the day.

When does the academic year start?

The academic year consists of two semesters.
The fall semester usually runs from mid of September - mid of February and the spring semester from mid of march - mid of July.

Is it important to be able to speak German?

We do offer courses taught in English for exchange students. Most other courses are taught in German. Please check in advance if it is possible for you to take part in the English courses. Anyway, being able to speak and understand German a bit will definietly help but is not obligatory. 


Redaktionell verantwortliche Person nach § 18 Abs. 2 MStV:
Eva Quel